The Faculty of Humanities is founded on the philosophy that excellence in theoretical and practical knowledge in the liberal arts, seasoned with good morals, is an essential part of the kind of education, which humanity needs to survive and thrive. In other words, the fundamental concern of the faculty is produce modern educated men and women in the liberal arts, who will be instrumental to the humanization of the society and the restoration of its dignity. Man in his complex nature, especially his multifaceted relationships with the world around him and even beyond, can hardly contemplate self-actualization and personal fulfillment, without the instrument of the liberal arts education, especially in the following areas: language, literature, history, religion, philosophy and culture. It is in this context that disciplines in the Humanities try to deal with different aspects of man’s nature, with a view to equipping and helping him to overcome the concomitant challenges. The general objectives of the disciplines include:
- To develop and enhance students’ awareness of the values, contributions, and potentialities of their own social, cultural and spiritual environment;
- To equip students to contribute meaningfully towards the attainment of national goals, needs and aspirations;
- To instill in the students the spirit of self-reliance, self-confidence and self actualization;
Departments & Programmes
Currently, the Faculty runs the Bachelors of Arts degree programmes in the following areas;
- English Language & Literary Studies[B.A. English Language & Literary Studies]
- History & International Studies[B.A. History & International Studies]
- Christian Religious Studies[B.A. Religious Studies]
Dean’s Welcome Note
In deciding to study Humanities you have chosen to place yourself within an academic community that deals with perhaps the most important questions that face us as human beings – we attempt to understand the messages found in literature, art, music, history, philosophy, society and religion, to understand significance and meaning. This is a sound base that prepares you for life in a rapidly changing, multicultural world.
The Faculty of Humanities is one of Premier faculties at the Hezekiah University Umudi, Imo State and a welcomed center for the study of Humanities on the African continent. We are a dynamic, creative and multicultural community that places great value on personal growth and intellectual stimulation through wide-ranging and innovative teaching and research.
Congratulations on making this excellent choice for your future! I wish you every success on your journey